WHAT IS SIGNING TIME?
- Signing Time is a captivating, entertaining DVD series for children and families that teaches basic ASL vocabulary in a fun and engaging way.
- Signing Time teaches real American Sign Language signs.
- According to the Random House Webster’s American Sign Language (ASL) Dictionary, it is estimated that ASL is the fourth most common language in the United States with over 13 million people, including both deaf and hearing populations, communicating to some extent in ASL.
- Signing Time was created for young children ages 0-12, but all ages enjoy it.
Signing Time is the first show of its kind to appear on public television stations across the country in 2006, 2007, and 2008.
- Signing Time products have spread almost entirely by word of mouth to all 50 states and over 20 countries.
SIGNING TIME STORY
In December of 1996, Rachel Coleman and husband Aaron’s daughter, Leah, was born. Fourteen months later they learned she was profoundly deaf. Rachel and Aaron began learning American Sign Language (ASL), and teaching it to Leah as fast as they could. By eighteen months, Leah’s signing vocabulary far surpassed the spoken vocabulary of other children her age.
Rachel’s sister Emilie also taught her son, Alex, some ASL, so that he could communicate with his cousin. They decided to team up to find an entertaining way to teach sign language to hearing children. They created their first video to teach friends and family to communicate with Leah. Word spread of their video, and Signing Time was born, starting Alex and Leah. During this time, Rachel and Aaron also had a second daughter, Lucy. Lucy was born premature with spina bifida and cerebral palsy. Doctors though that she might not be able to speak or sign. But shortly after Volume 1 of Signing Time was released, Leah began to sign. She now speaks, and is in a mainstream school.
To learn more about the Coleman family, Signing Time products or the Signing Time academy, visit www.signingtime.com.
Signing Time Links
- Signing Time Story- http://www.signingtime.com/aboutus/our-story/
- Benefits of Signing- http://www.signingtime.com/faqs/benefits-of-signing/
- Awards – www.signingtime.com/aboutus/awards
- Products – http://www.signingtime.com/faqs/products/
- Signing Time Foundation – http://www.signingtimefoundation.org/
- Signing Time Company FAQ’s- http://www.signingtime.com/faqs/company/
- Signing Time Product FAQ’s- http://www.signingtime.com/faqs/products/
- Signing Time Awards Received- http://www.signingtime.com/aboutus/awards/